Tuesday, January 20, 2015

January Gardening

As gardening months go, gardening in January is one of the easiest.  The ground is frozen.  It's too cold to venture out.  All that is left is a mug of tea, an easy chair and that stack of seed catalogs!

A productive garden is a well planned garden and oh what fun that planning is!  New seed catalogs began arriving last November.  As I start looking through them I have to remind myself NOT to get carried away with ordering!  

Throughout the past growing season, I keep notes about new flower and vegetable varieties that I want to try.  I add that list to this year's seed catalog "wants" and I am pretty well set.

My current garden is a typical Kitchen Garden.  With the exception of the sweet corn, which we grow bushels and bushels of for the freezer, the produce I grow is consumed fresh.  The days of canning and freezing massive amounts of vegetables are long past here at Taddiken Farm.  


That said, the Master Gardener in me wants to experiment with different varieties of vegetables.  Each year I try a few new ones.  Sensibility and experience tells me that the tomato I need to be growing out here is Celebrity.  I grow them every year and add another something new.  This year I am trying a couple of Rutgers tomato plants.  My nephew Joe is a Master Gardener in Oregon and has convinced me to give them a try.  
Also new this year will be Socrates cucumbers.  I have been reading about their ability to produce masses of dark green sweet cucumbers.  We'll see.  On the flower side, I want to plant more fall flowering periennels along our fence.   Asters, garden mums etc...


The biggest change I am making this season?  I am ordering all of my seeds from ONE catalog.  One order to keep track of.  This will be a first.  Happy planning to you!







No comments:

Post a Comment